The winter season brings about so many opportunities to sigh and say, “Well, it’s that time of the year again…” Thanksgiving and winter holidays, the New Year, my birthday, and now Valentine’s Day.
Oh, Cupid, you are a cruel little cherub, casting aside single people all over the city, forcing us to drown our loneliness in pitchers of cheap margaritas at Tortilla Flats (true story).
If you believe in manifesting (I’m not sure I do, but this is good advice nevertheless), then let’s talk a bit about your Valentine’s Day plans. I don’t care if you work late that day, greet your delivery guy at your door, or plan a fabulous night with friends (may I recommend Tortilla Flats?), you should always have kissable lips. Always! Crusty lips are the enemy of human communication. Job interview? Lip balm! Dinner with family? Lip balm! Walking outside in Snowpocalypse 2015? Lip balm!
You get the point. Here’s the plan:
- Scrub your lips gently with a makeup-removing wipe. Really get in there, in the corners, around the perimeter… you’ve got it.
- Moisturize with lip balm (I use Burt’s Bees on myself and my clients), and then dab a dot of foundation around the edge of your lip line.
- Line, apply two coats of lipstick (making sure to clean up the edges), and pucker up!
Now is a good time to dig into your lipstick drawer and toss out the old, sad, broken, smelly, and unflattering lipsticks. If they are MAC, save up six tubes and take them in for a free tube of your choice. Bingo!
Want a fresh shade for your Valentine’s Day? Good idea! Here are some recommendations, in every price range, straight from my studio to your date night:
- Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Lollipop – the color is bright? I know! Live a little; it’s $8.
- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint – another sheer, moisturizing lip stain in soft colors (commitment-phobe? Start with Lovely, a watermelon pink). $24
- Dior Addict Lipstick – there’s some voodoo in here that makes your lips soft, plump, and moist. $33
- Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Pomegranate – if you want your lipstick to look perfect and last through many cocktails, I insist you try this. Magic! $24
- Obsessive Compulsive Stained Gloss – this lip set gives you options for all 4 of your dates, and is only $10 right now at Sephora! Vegan, long-wearing, and badass.
Please email me if you have any exciting adventures!