Hello, beauty lovers! When I recently polled a few girlfriends (highly scientific poll conducted via text message) to ask what beauty questions they want answered in my blog, they universally responded regarding eye makeup colors. Two of the friends have pretty brown eyes, one has dazzling green eyes and a huge selection of designer sunglasses to cover them up (c’mon, Nancy! Share!), and the fourth has more eye shadow in her drawers than I have in my studio. Sigh.
Today we are focusing on our brown-eyed beauties. Friends and clients (some are both) don’t believe me when I tell them that brown-eyed girls have the luxury of playing with any color they choose – it will all look good! So, secret revealed… wear it all! Dig into your drawer for that “gift with purchase color” that you sent into makeup Siberia, because it will be a refreshing change. Love this fall’s violet eye makeup trend? Work it! The brighter and bolder colors will help reveal all of the flecks of gold and green in your dark eyes, so play hard.
Some of my favorites for dark eyes this Winter 2015:
- Cobalt blue! It’s fun, you can use it as an accent over neutral shadow (minimizes makeup time), and with this $12 liner, it’s a small investment. It’s called Pool Party!
- Prestige Cosmetics, found at your local drug store, has some gorgeous and really creamy eyeliners. Check out this liner in Emerald Metal – whaaat? $6 and so fun, and it will bring out all the flecks of gold in your eyes? Yes!
- Feeling frisky and want to try a trend? Get on board with Pantone’s 2014 color of the Year, Radiant Orchid. This Laura Mercier cream eyeshadow stick in Orchid will give you a hint of trend without making you look strung out. Stroke it on your lid, blend with your finger, and follow up with a few coats of dark black mascara.
- Copper! I looooove copper, wear it myself, and love using it on clients. Why not pop your happy hour look with artfully applied copper, part of this season’s metallic craze? I love Modster Pigments in Copper. Apply your neutral eye, blend copper on your lid from the outside in (maybe a little under your lower lashes) and then finish with black eyeliner and mascara. This shade, from Ardency Inn, is a super-creamy powder with high pigment and soothing ingredients.
- Eggplant mascara is a very cool alternative to black mascara for our brown-eyed friends. This Makeup Forever version is available at their store or Sephora and gives you a color-enhancing pop for daytime. Make sure to curl your lashes first.
What colors do you enjoy for your brown eyes? Please share your comments and pictures with us!