My mother, Gail Becker, is a beautiful woman. Not only is she very pretty, but she is sharp, very funny, opinionated, friendly, loving, and can parallel park a minivan. She also has great skin, and looks nothing like a 74-year old. My mom is neither wrinkled nor pulled taut by surgery; she looks a like a healthy woman who raised four kids, enjoyed time on Revere Beach and now in Barbados, and has laughed and smiled.
So, after lots of summers in the sun, and a life well-lived, what’s her secret to great skin? Genetics, my friends – she got lucky, and so did I. My mother does nothing special for her skin, has never met a $150 jar of cream (and would scoff at it if she had), didn’t have sunscreen on Revere Beach…she is quite the iconoclast.
My clients always ask how they can get great skin like mine (thanks for the compliment) and I always refer to mom. However…you can work with what you have by taking good care of yourself. Here is some of the advice Gail would give if she were a makeup artist:
- Eat your vegetables
- Cleanse your face morning and night
- Don’t pick at your face, and keep your hands off your face
- Take necessary precautions (don’t burn your face in the sun)
- (My mom’s favorite accessories) LARGE SUNGLASSES!
- Don’t be afraid to smile and laugh – those lines are to be worn with pride